Domestic & Commercial Installation
How to apply window film to domestic and commercial windows
Beat the Heat (and the Cold) with DIY installation for your Home.
Tinting your Homes windows will keep you cooler in summer and warmer in winter while saving you money on energy costs. Block out 70-99% of harsh UV protecing both your interior furnishings as well as your skin from exposure damage. Increase safety and security from storms or accidental damage as any tinted glass will not fly apart, but remain on the film.
Tint with confidence with PolyFilm.
- Pre-clean window thoroughly
- Thoroughly clean both sides of the window with a soapy water solution.
- Be sure to wipe away all dirt and grime from the surfaces.
- DO NOT use household cleaners or ammonia based cleaners.
- Use a lint free cloth to completely dry the surface prior to applying the film.
- NOTE: The clear backing liner (covering the adhesive) of the film is slick and the tint film side is slightly tacky.
- Trim film to a rough size
- Unroll the window film identifying the backing liner from the tint film side.
- Place the film on the window surface with the backing liner side facing you and trim leaving an additional film border of 10mm-25mm (1" inch).
- You may lightly wet the window surface to hold the film in place while trimming.
- Using a sharp safety knife, trim the the film first (leaving the additional border of 10mm-25mm or 1" inch) and pull any excess window film away slowly as you go.
- NOTE: Be careful not to cut or damage the window frame while trimming the film.
- Remove the Backing Liner while the film is still on the window
- Carefully remove the backing liner of the film while still in place on the window.
- TIP: To avoid damaging the film edge place a piece of adhesive tape on both the backing liner side and the tint side to help peel off the backing liner.
- Lightly spray the now exposed adhesive side of the film. You should also wet your fingers to prevent leaving fingerprints during handling.
- Handle carefully to avoid creasing, crimping or getting dirt on to the exposed adhesive.
- Prepare the window inside surface by spraying thoroughly with a soapy solution.
- Also spray the exposed adhesive side with a soapy solution.
- Applying the film and final trimming
- Now to apply to the inside window surface, remove the film from the window and place it directly on the inside of the window with the wet adhesive side against the wet inside window surface.
- Lift up the excess window film at the bottom of the window so it will not pick up any dirt or grime.
- To hold the film in place, squeegee an area in the middle.
- Trim to fit inside window as accurately as possible.
- Firmly squeegee the window film in place always working from the center out. Take care to push all air bubbles towards the nearest edge. This will also allow you to push any excess soapy solution from the surface of the film to the edge so it can be wiped away with the lint free cloth.